Avatar Yangchen Novel Coming This Summer

 



    So yesterday, author F.C. Yee announced that his next book will be releasing this summer and it's about Avatar Yangchen, the previous air avatar before Aang. His last avatar novel was Shadow of Kyoshi that released back in 2020. This was quite the surprise as many thought that the next book would be continuing Kyoshi's story. Yangchen was briefly seen in Shadow of Kyoshi where she spoke to Kyoshi giving her advice. The Kyoshi novels are best-sellers and and received high critical reception. The Avatar series has a very dedicated and passionate fanbase so expect fans to be for this release on day 1. The Dawn of Yangchen is set to release on July 19, 2022.

As for my opinion on this I'm actually a bit disappointed. I got into reading The Rise of Kyoshi and Shadow of Kyoshi last year and I was quite surprised how much I liked it because I've been struggling with finding books I like for years and I was interested in learning more about Kyoshi from The Last Airbender. Kyoshi was such a different avatar from Aang, Korra, and Wan. She went through some dire experiences and had maybe my favorite cast of support characters. Kyoshi was also long lived dying at the age of twenty-three and by the end of Shadow of Kyoshi she was only seventeen years old, which still surprises me because she gives off the energy of someone in her late twenties. Since she was still a teenager by the end of the second book there is a ton to explore with her character. In the Last Airbender we saw that she created the Kyoshi warriors and came in conflict with Chin the Conqueror. It would be great to see how these formed and with the context behind them.

In addition, these two novels were essentially her origin story. She was just fully coming to terms with her avatar status at the end of Shadow of Kyoshi. Yangchen was a character I was slightly curious about, but right now I'm not sure if I'm going to pick up The Dawn of Yangchen. It just feels odd to get a character started off the ground and then switch to another avatar. How do you all feel about this announcement? Will you be picking it up? Let me know in the comments below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Fashion of Persona

4C Pixels: A Look at Black Hair in Video Games

Catwoman: Hunted Review